Sunday, June 14, 2009

Yesterday I was at the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh. I was perusing Footnote and all I could find was the Declaration of Intent for Emil August Bartels. He was my grandmother's (Anna Bartels Schridde) brother.

On the declaration it stated that Hamburg was his home. He was 21 years of age, did he live with his parents? Or, did he live on his own. At this time it would have been c. 1923 and the Great War was over. Germany had such hyperinflation, I suspect he lived at home and immigrated to find a new life. His Aunts and Uncles were here and they probably encouraged him to come and work in the steel mills. I wonder how he felt to leave home and come to the former enemy, the USA?

The thing about Footnote is that when I was at the LDS Church I was finding all sorts of record, and while at the library I could not find the ones that I already had made copies of the documents...I need to figure out what I am doing wrong with my searches on Footnote.

No comments:

Post a Comment