Wednesday, October 27, 2010

WORDLESS WEDNESDAY

Christof Sperl 1832-1902 

Not so wordless…….My theory on who I think this may be.    He has such a penetrating gaze.   At the bottom on the photo I seem to be able to make out the top of Sperl and possibly the word Christof.

My theory is that this is the great great grandfather of my husband.   Christof Sperl was born in Rosshaupt, Bohemia in 1832 and emigrated to the USA in 1869.   He settled in Millvale PA, which is a suburb on Pittsburgh and it lies on the banks of the Allegheny River.   There were quite a few settled from Bohemia to settled in Millvale.

He died in 1902 and is buried in St Anthony’s Cemetery.   The cemetery has no records of where he is buried but the death record listed it as his place of burial.

3 comments:

  1. What a great photo! You can see a smile under all those whiskers- which is rare in photos of this time period!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever this man is, he has very kind eyes! I'd like to know this man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks like a really friendly grandpa...I hope he loved and was loved...Hugs, mary

    ReplyDelete