Sunday, April 11, 2010

SENTIMENTAL SUNDAY

My first comment is that the little girl posted a week or so ago is me, Claudia.

William Francis O'Roueke

This is a picture of my grandmother, Gertrude O'Rourke Dowd's brother William Francis O'Rourke.    I do not know how old this picture is but it was printed on some shiny metallic type film.    I have read about such things but since he was born 6 May 1888, I thought it was too old for the same ones taken during the Civil War.     I am probably wrong but don't have the time to sort it out at this point.

After my grandmothers second husband (Peter Graham) died she moved in with her brother Bill and sister Mary, who remained unmarried.

On Sundays I would sometimes go to visit and help my grandmother around the house.    Bill liked to watch the Pirates play baseball.  I must have been around the age of eight or so when he was all set and they started to play the National Anthem.   Bill got up off his chair and removed his hat and placed it over his heart.

I thought this was the funniest thing I had ever seen, but did not laugh in his presence.

Bill lived till 1979 and is buried in Braddock Catholic Cemetery with his parents and sisters Ann and Mary.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment