Tuesday, February 14, 2012

PENNSYLVANIA DEATH INDEX


Yesterday I spent an inordinate amount of time searching the index..   My criteria for some has been the ten year period between 1910 and 1920 census.  I have found the death date for my grandmother in laws youngest brother.   His name was Leonard Stephens and he died 22 July 1919.   My sister in law said that she thought he was killed in WWI.    Leonard was born in 1903. Did he die in the war, my husband said that sometimes the guys lied to get in the Army.    Did he die in an epidemic?   I will have to search for an obit  and hope there is a record of the particulars.

Also two of my husbands great uncles.   Joseph Sperl died 16 February 1921 and Charles Sperl on 8 April 1918.   I think Charles would be a candidate for the Spanish Flu.    My great grandfathers sister Norah Finnerty 9 September 1916 is another ancestor.   I think this list can go on and on.  
 
My plan of action now is to search for the obituaries and send for the death certificates.   The PA Archives saw if the certificates are ordered it will take twelve to sixteen weeks to arrive.   I am seriously considering driving to Harrisburg, and do research at the Archives while I am there.  
The trip is about three and a half hours, really not a bad drive if you can tolerate the Pennsylvania turnpike.   That is another story in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment