Thursday, February 18, 2010

POSSIBLE BRICK WALL REMOVAL.

My cousin, Helen Jean, was the person who inspired me to get involved in Genealogy.    She has been working on it for about 20 to 30 years.     One of her brick walls (my husbands and daughters line) is Michael Coleman.  Helen Jeans has him traced to Center County PA with his birth c. 1812.

  She said Michael had written  "Father"  1780-1847 and "Mother" 1789-1831. Michael had written mother and father but no name.  Guess he knew what their names were...... 

Helen Jean had copied that information from a family bible.  Michael had written mother and father but no name.  Guess he knew what their names were...... I have to ask her who owns the Bible and where is it now?

I found  information in the Lebanon County Historical Society.....This county is about two counties east of where Michael was found and is buried.  The information is that a Coleman Family was very important in that county.  

Seems the original Robert Coleman emigrated from Ireland and lived in Philadelphia in the early 1700's. 

  I see a road trip in the future....to Harrisburg, where the records are kept in the State Archives.   The goal is to see if these newly found Colemans are related to the Michael Coleman from Center County PA

2 comments:

  1. Hi Claudia,

    I saw your comment that you left on my blog today (thank you very much), however, when I went to publish it, I accidently hit the reject button! I want to apologize for this and to let you know I really didn't mean to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have traced family back to before the civil war on my mother's mother side...but my mother's father came to this town of ours as a mystery...I got as far as his army records in world War I but finding anything about his parents or any surving kin was also a brick wall. He said he had a terrible falling out with his people and left home and never wanted to see them again. When he found out he was dying (as a young man) from TB and being gassed during the war, when my grandmother asked how to get in touch with his people, he told her that he did not want his parents or kin notified and refused to give her any information even then. My mother was only 18 months old when he died and I have tried since I was a teenager to try to find some living kin for her to ask about her daddy...because she wanted to so bad...She is 84 years old now and has alzheimers and I am 56. I feel so bad that she never knew him nor any of his people...her people. So yes...Tracing family roots is very important.

    ReplyDelete