Monday, October 12, 2009

SEARCHING FOR OLIVE

I am now back to searching for Olive Stephens. MY THEORY is that she died sometime between her husband Roberts death (1913) and 1920.
Aunt Edna said
she on Christmas Eve in Salem OH and was buried there.


I have been looking at a family of Stephens who emigrated in 1850 from England. They had a son Robert born in 1845. In 1860 I found them living in "Development 1, Henry KY" I did not find the in 1870, still searching for them in 1870. But, low and behold, I found them living in Allegheny City (1880), which is now the North Side of Pittsburgh, across the Allegheny River. Allegheny City was annexed in 1908, much to the displeasure of the inhabitants.


This leads me to believe that this is where Robert stayed. Robert had joined the Union and fought in the Civil War, even though he would have been 14 or 16 at that time. He was listed in a unit that was formed in Western PA, so had they moved north about the time of the Civil War?

I have found a Civil War Pension and he is buried in the GAR Plot of Uniondale Cemetery. W
hich is located on the North Side of Pittsburgh.

That leads me to believe that the Stephens I have been following are "MY" Stephens. What problem I have been having is I am also finding the name spelled as Stevens.

In the 1900 census I have Olive and Robert living on the North Side along with their four children (Including Mary, my husbands grandmother). Also listed is his brother James, who was also with the family in 1880.

Now, are the parents (Charles and Hanna Stephens) buried in Uniondale. I have to check when that cemetery opened. There is also Allegheny Cemetery, which opened earlier in the 19th century.

I can not find a marriage license application for Robert and Olive, even though they were married in 1891. Because of the difference in their ages (he was 25 years older than Olive) did they elope?

He was single in 1880 and married two times by 1891. I looked in Ancestry and found about 5 Olives living on the North Side in 1880. Could one of them be the elusive Olive?

I contacted the Ohio Genealogical Society to see if they had any ideas on the subject. In 1920 their daughter Irene was living in Salem OH. Maybe a trip to Salem OH is REALLY in order. I am hoping that the library may have the records I need. It is really not too far of a drive, about one hour.

1 comment:

  1. I am reading this with great interest. My Frederick family came from Salem, Ohio and I have been there a couple of time. I grew up in Pittsburgh...I have numerous relations in Uniondale Cemetery....and numerous that lived on the North Side...aka Allegheny City. Small world. Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete