Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sentimental Sunday

Here is a picture of me taken yesterday.  There was 21.5 inches of snow and I am standing in my street, waiting for the snow plow.   
This reminded me of  the Thanksgiving Snow Storm in 1950, that was the most snow about 27.8 or there about.
I was four at the time, and what I remember of that Friday night was waiting and looking out the front door waiting for my dad to come home.  He worked for the Union Railroad, he was an electrician and his job included the motor  work on the on the trains.
I remember the cars spinning their wheels trying to get up the street.    He was hours late and my mother was worried.   It seemed like forever and I can recall he got home about 8 PM.   The buses had stopped running and he had to walk about four miles from the roundhouse to home.
My mother and I went to the local store the next day and she pulled me on a sled.    I seemed to me it was a lot of snow, but being a child any amount would seem like a lot.
I found out much later that it was indeed a lot of snow.   I haven't found any pictures of my parents of that Thanksgiving storm.
SNOW STORM FEB 6 2010 (32)

No comments:

Post a Comment