Saturday, January 16, 2010

WEEK TWO OF 52 WEEKS BETTER GENEALOGY……

 

I need to get in the swing, so to speak,  of this year long project.   Kudos to Amy of  WE TREE for the great idea of which I have been following.

There is so much out there that I have yet to learn.   Everyone who has been doing their Genealogy for a long time are light years beyond me.

So my main source, right now, is the GENEALOGY DEPARTMENT OF THE CARNEGIE LIBRARY OF PITTSBURGH.  When I first started to research this Library it was about two years ago.

What has helped me is the RESEARCH LINKS  They have microfilm and records from the late 1800’s in Allegheny County and Western Pennsylvania up until about 1908 when the Vital Statistic records were taken by the State of Pennsylvania.    Now it is a major project to get records, of which I have to admit I plan to do but have not because of all the red tape dealing with privacy issues and the bureaucracy  dealing with Pennsylvania. 

What else has helped me is  WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

They have a lot of books and information.   For me this is the best because, unbelievable as it seems, 99% of the people who I am researching lived in Western PA>

 

No comments:

Post a Comment