Sunday, March 7, 2010

IN THE GENALOGICAL DOLDRUMS

 

At least I feel that I am,   I want to get things done or at least started but I seem to lack the initiative to start.

Perhaps I should make a list.   What I find holding me back is lack or time, or inability to find time to get started.    I think that it is the fact that I am working full time, but I read the others on my blog list that seem to get it done.   

I am hoping with the spring and warmer temperatures and lengthening  of daylight perhaps I will get motivated.

List:

1) Send for Pennsylvania birth certificates.  I think that I have about 20 I would like to have.  

2) Send for Church information from the DIOCESE OF PITTSBURGH

3) Talk to the genealogist at CALVARY CEMETERY to see if they have any information that I need.   The genealogist is only there on Thursday.

4) Join a few historical societies that may be of help to me.   Including one in Baltimore, Mifflin Township,  and Lebanon County, PA.

5) Make a trip to Harrisburg PA to search the archives and see if I can find information on Michael Coleman.  Who is an ancestor of my husband and daughter.

6) Search for information on Jacob Bauser/Bowser and his daughter Olive Bauser Stephens.  

7) Decide the best approach and where to send for information for record in Ireland and Germany.

I think I should not make the list too long or I will become  overwhelmed.

Technorati Tags:

5 comments:

  1. Claudia, I have to say I am right there with you! I am not sure why but I am having a hard time getting motivated to post on my blog.

    A list is a great idea and I think it will help to give you a jump start! Time is a huge factor. I have way to many interruptions and then there is the things in daily life that just have to get done.

    Hang in there, your not alone by any means!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Claudia,

    In my honest opinion, I think sending for those birth certificates or the church information will be most motivating. Isn't it when we get new documents that we are often most inspired to keep going and become creative in our research as we analyze the documents? They get us wondering and returning to what we already have to compare and reevaluate.

    It's that end-of-winter blues, I think. Hang in there! Spring is around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. I feel better knowing I am not the only with this malaise.

    I think sending for things first is a great idea. I know who and what I want, so I will just wait at the mailbox like a kid till the documents or information arrives.

    Then in the summer, perhaps, road trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claudia, I've written about this a few different times myself. I get into a slump and need to step back. I agree with Miriam the ordering of certificates will probably be what you need to charge forward I also find that helping someone else with their research can get me thrilled with the hunt as well. Hope you find your way out of your doldrum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all feel like this from time to time. I know that sometimes I just feel overwhelmed with everything I SHOULD be doing. It helps me to just pick one think and try to block everything else out. I certainly agree with Miriam about ordering documents...think I'll go order a few right now!

    ReplyDelete