Sunday, March 14, 2010

Family Chronicle Magazine

 

Today I purchased the March/April issue of  FAMILY CHRONICLE MAGAZINE   I was perusing the articles when one entitled “The Last Sons of The Civil War”  caught my attention.

I was reading about how some 120 descendents of Civil War Veterans were still living.    Most of these people were born after their fathers, Civil War Veterans, had most likely been married two to three times.   The men were older widower who had married much younger women.

Then I had an Eureka moment and realized that my husbands grandmother Mary Stephens Sperl (1900-1986) was the daughter of a Civil War Veteran….

I have not found his story, but in the 1900 census it lists him as being married twice and his wife, Olive Bauser/Bowser Stephens,was indeed twenty five years younger than her husband. 

I found this website SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR and I realized  that my husband was eligible to join the organization.    He was really surprised, I guess no one had ever mentioned the fact that his grandmother was the daughter of a Civil War Veteran.

I suppose now I should send for his Civil War File.   I will add it to my to do list, but so far all I have done is make a list.

I am hoping that this will give me more information about his great grandfather and perhaps Robert Stephens first wife.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment